Archery deer hunters in select counties in northern Illinois are encouraged to allow samples to be taken for chronic wasting disease (CWD) sampling from adult deer they harvest through Nov. 15. The sampling is a very important part of Illinois’ effort to monitor and combat CWD in wild deer. IDNR is asking archery hunters in Boone, Cook, DeKalb, DuPage, Grundy, Kane, Kendall, Lake, LaSalle, McHenry, Ogle and Winnebago counties to participate. Hunters should first check in their harvest through the IDNR web site or toll-free phone system as indicated on their permit. The following locations are serving as CWD sampling stations, taking samples from entire deer or deer heads:
- Authentic Taxidermy, 1849 Yates Ave, Beloit, WI; phone 608/362-8323 to confirm hours
- Dave Bicket, 915 Warren St, Earlville, IL 60518; phone 815/246-9395
- Eickmans Processing, Grant Ave, Seward, IL; open M-F 7 a.m.-5:30 p.m., Sat. 7 a.m.-noon
- Freedom Sausage, 4155 E 1650th Rd, Earlville, IL 60518; phone 815/792-8276; M-F 7 a.m.-4 p.m.; Sat. 9 a.m.-noon
- Grubar’s Processing, 3309 E. 9th Rd, Utica, IL 61373; phone 815/667-4046; Mon., Wed. and Sat. 8 a.m.-noon; Tues., Thurs. and Fri. 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Jones Locker Service, 204 N Seminary Ave, Woodstock; M-F 8 a.m.-6 p.m., Sat. 9 a.m.-3 p.m., Sun. 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Norway Store, 3654 N IL Rt 71, Sheridan, IL 60551; phone 815/496-2669
- Pinnons Meats, 2324 N. Court St., Rockford; Mon.-Sat. 8 a.m.-6:30 p.m., Sun. 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Sportsmans Choice, 11820 Catalpa, Woodstock; Mon., Tues., Thurs., Fri. 11 a.m.- 7 p.m., Sat. 9 a.m.-4 p.m., Sun. 9 a.m.-2 p.m.
Hunters who participate in the CWD sampling may leave the heads from adult deer for testing at several drop-off sites. Hunters should remove the deer head, leaving the two vertebrae nearest the skull attached. The head should be placed in a heavy-grade plastic bag and kept cool until the hunter delivers it to the drop-off site. The head should be stored on ice or refrigerated, but not frozen. (Tissue samples cannot be taken from deer heads refrigerated more than three days). The following sites are serving as drop-off sites where hunters can fill out a sample submission card and leave the deer heads:
- Boone County Conservation District – Maintenance Bldg, 655 N. Appleton Rd, Belvidere; Mon.-Sun 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Castle Rock State Park, Rt. 2, 3 miles south of Oregon; Mon-Sun
- Chain O’Lakes State Park, 8916 Wilmot Rd., Spring Grove; Mon-Sun 8 a.m.-7:30 p.m.
- Rock Cut State Park, 7318 Harlem Rd, Loves Park; Mon-Sun
- Smokehouse Processing, 5735 S. 9th St, Rockford; Mon-Sun 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
Test results will be posted on the IDNR web site at https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/Pages/default.aspx.
For more information, contact IDNR at 815/675-2386 ext. 316 (Lake, Kane, Cook, Kendall, Grundy, DuPage and McHenry counties) or 815/535-2875 (Boone, DeKalb, LaSalle, Ogle and Winnebago counties).