Milwaukee, Wis. – This year, deer harvested in Washington, Ozaukee, Dodge, Sheboygan, northern Waukesha, Milwaukee, Racine and Kenosha counties will be sampled for Chronic Wasting Disease. Deer heads will be collected during the early bow and gun deer seasons. The bow season runs Sept. 16 to Nov. 16 and Nov. 27 through Jan. 7, 2007. The nine day gun season is Nov. 18 through Nov. 26.
In addition to the valuable information the sampling provides, hunters have an opportunity to win a $500 gift certificate.
“Hunters can help our sampling effort by donating the head from their adult deer,” said CWD wildlife supervisor Tami Ryan. “There is no cost to the hunter, and they get a chance to win a $500 gift certificate.”
Southeastern Wisconsin includes two CWD sampling units this year. One unit covers Washington, Ozaukee, Dodge and Sheboygan counties. The other includes Milwaukee, Racine, Kenosha and northern Waukesha counties.
“Our goal is to sample at least 500 deer in each unit,” Ryan said. “In each of the sampling units, two $500 gift certificates will be awarded, thanks to donations from the Washington County Chapter of Whitetails Unlimited, and Sheboygan County Conservation Association. Other clubs and organizations have also contributed to this effort in other sampling units around the state.”
Hunters will receive one entry chance for each adult deer head they submit. The contest ends on December 31, 2006 or sooner if the sample quota is reached.
Eligible Deer are adult deer (no fawns) harvested in one of the counties listed above that have not been badly damaged in the head or upper neck area. These deer need to be submitted or frozen within 24 hours of harvest.
Hunters should bring their deer to one of the head collection stations listed below. It is recommended that hunters call ahead for hours of operation. Deer heads for taxidermy, or European mounts may also be submitted. At least 6-9 inches of the neck must remain attached to the head.
Local deer head collection stations:
- Al’s Taxadermy, 9383 Old Fond du Lac Rd., Kewaskum 262-626-2073
- Gehrings Meat Market, 5618 Hwy K (south of Allenton, one half mile west of Hwy 41) 262-644-6272
- Cabela’s Cabela Way, Richfield (Jct. Hwy 145 and Hwy 41) 262-628-57001
- Blau’s Saukville Meats, 501 E. Green Bay Avenue, Saukville 262-284-0898
- Schwai’s Meat & Sausage, W3940 Hwy H, Fredonia (2 miles west of Hwy 57) 262-692-2731
- Buck Rub Outfitters, N13 W28400 Silvernail Rd., Pewaukee 262-547-0866
- Miesfeld’s Market, 4811 Venture Dr., Sheboygan 920-565-6328
- DNR Service Center, 1155 Pilgrim Rd., Plymouth 920-892-8756
- Howards Grove Meat Market, 211 S Wisconsin Dr., Howards Grove 920-565-2215
- Gander Mountain, 4308 Cty. Hwy J, Sheboygan 920-208-0800
- Mike’s Bait & Tackle, 1148 6th St., Kiel 920-894-3836
- DNR Service Center, 9531 Rayne Rd., Sturtevant 262-884-2300
- Gander Mountain, 6801 120th Ave., Kenosha 262-857-3757 WI
During opening weekend of gun deer season, DNR staff will collect deer heads at Mills Fleet Farm in Plymouth and Din’s Mini-Mart in Dundee.
For more information on CWD, call the toll-free information line during regular business hours, 1-877-WISC-CWD (1-877-947-2293).