The Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks Commission is seeking public comment on a proposal to restrict the importation of deer and elk parts into Montana from other states or countries with known cases of Chronic Wasting Disease.
The proposed rule would make it unlawful to import dead deer or elk into Montana from any other location that has diagnosed CWD in wild game. Some exceptions include:
– Meat that is cut and wrapped;
– Quarters or other portions of meat with no part of the spinal column or head attached;
– Meat that has been boned out;
– Hides with no heads attached;
– Clean (no meat or tissue attached) skull plates with antlers attached;
– Antlers with no meat or tissue attached;
– Upper canine teeth, also known as “buglers,” “whistlers” or “ivories;”
– Finished head, partial body or whole body mounts already prepared by a taxidermist; and
– Animals that have been tested in the state where harvested with documentation of the negative CWD test result.
For details on the proposed rule call: 406-444-4039. Comments may be emailed to: [email protected] or mailed to: FWP, Wildlife Division, 1420 East Sixth Ave., P. O. Box 200701, Helena, MT 59620-0701.