FITCHBURG – The gun deer seasons in the chronic wasting disease (CWD) zones of southern and southwest Wisconsin begins Thursday, Oct. 28. Below are several topics based on questions that the public has been posing to DNR field and front line staff.

Butchered Waste

CWD Disease Eradication Zone (DEZ) hunters have several options for disposing of butchered waste. After registering their deer:

  • The hunter can process the deer and take the butchered waste to one of six DNR run collection stations within the DEZ for disposal. DNR collection/registration stations are located at Arena, Barneveld, Black Earth, Highland, Muscoda and Lone Rock.

  • The hunter can have a meat processor bone out the meat and return the butchered waste to the hunter for disposal at a DNR station in the DEZ.

  • Double bag the butchered waste and put it in the trash for curbside pick-up if the waste hauler will accept it.

  • Bury the waste on land where the animal was harvested with the landowner’s permission.

Shooting from Ag Vehicles

DEZ landowners, family members or employees of the landowner may no longer use a firearm or bow to shoot deer from a farm tractor or implement of husbandry, such as a combine or hay wagon. That privilege, authorized by the legislature, has now lapsed.

CWD Information Line

The DNR has established a toll-free number the public can call to get answers to CWD related questions. General CWD information, including landowner permit eligibility and hunting seasons, is provided at 1-877-WISC-CWD (1-877-947-2293). The phone is staffed from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Albino Deer

Landowners and hunters hunting under the authority of a landowner permit may shoot white or albino deer in the DEZ. Hunters hunting under a license cannot. DNR is hoping to change the law so that next year anyone hunting in the DEZ can shoot a white or albino deer.

Sick Deer

A hunter with a valid license or permit should shoot an obviously sick deer and then contact a warden or wildlife manager as soon as possible to make arrangements to get the deer tested and receive a new tag. People who don’t have a hunting license or permit and see a sick deer should contact the DNR, describe the situation, and get approval to shoot the deer.

Article lookup by year